Wednesday, June 25, 2008

June 25 Redwood Forest

When I was about 9 or 10 years old, I remember reading an article that said that the seed of the sequoia tree was the size of the point of a pencil. Yet some varieties of the sequoia grow so large that if the tree is tunneled out, you can drive your car through it. That amazed me and I've always wanted to see the trees for myself. This summer, I finally got to!!!



It was truly awesome to come out of the Redwood Forest and see the Pacific Ocean right there! I couldn't help humming "this land is your land" a bit.



I stayed at the Redwood Hostel. The second story bedroom window overlooks the ocean. Pretty nice for just $20 a night! I couldn't get the thought out of my head that there was something so familiar about the Redwood Forest. While I was staying there, the desk clerk said that the Ewok scenes from Return of the Jedi had been filmed in nearby Jedediah Smith State Park! Aha!! That's it!!! Without knowing it, my mind was replaying the chase scene with Luke and Leia on a speeder being pursued by an Imperial Stormtrooper.

No comments: