Tuesday, October 1, 2013

How do you stop caring?

Of the five classes I teach, two classes are full of students who are repeating their English class for that particular level. After only two weeks with these classes, I feel defeated. I feel, as I said on Facebook, like I’m pushing an elephant up a hill.

Every time I walk into my class and try to teach, I’m met with a class, half of whom are relatively focused, and the other half who are….the complete opposite. The students who occupy the back row for my Monday & Tuesday class sit in the back of, talking, laughing, eating, and checking their phones. They do everything but their assignment. When I try to engage them in a discussion, they stare blankly. While it’s tempting to attribute it to a language barrier, their English levels are high enough to understand what I’m asking.

I’ve given up trying to stand up in front of them two days a week, attempting to teach them. My new tactic today was to give them their assignment then put them to work while I entered in their homework grades.

This is not a new issue to me. I’ve been teaching for six years and have met up with my fair share of students who had no desire to do anything. But usually, it was a student here or there. In my C-peats, it’s an epidemic. It makes me want to sob, but I know it’s not my fault. This situation was here before I was.

EFL vs ESL

At least when I taught ESL (English as a Second Language), my students attended our Intensive English Program (IEP) with a view to moving on to an American university. In that situation, I had the benefit of high stakes to hold over my students. “Yes, you might pass the TOEFL, but when you get to university, you also need to be able to understand what your professors are saying.”
I don’t have that option with EFL (English as a Foreign Language) students. Once they pass the TOEFL, they will move on to a university where their classes will be taught in their native language, but the textbooks will be in English. They don’t need to be able to speak or listen to English in order to be successful in their program.

And so, dear readers, I have given up. I haven’t thrown in the towel or waved my white flag on everything. I have merely given up trying to help the students who have made it clear that they don’t want my help. I have to focus my efforts on those who still want to learn. They do exist in my classes, even among my C-peats; they’re merely in the minority.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry things are looking tough right now...but I'm sure you'll figure out something brilliant to engage them soon. Keep your chin up!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Sarah. It means a lot to me.

jmmartin0287 said...

You are absolutely right about NOT helping those who don't seem to want it. It is exhausting and you are there to teach those who WANT to learn.

The problem is that, unlike most educators, you actually care and you see their future. You are wise woman, you have a great heart and I love you VERY VERY MUCH! You can get through this, its that steel effort of yours that will get you through! I LOVE YOU!!!

Alisha said...

Don't worry friend- it's definitely not you; it's the culture and it's normal. I had to deal with it a ton too. Just keep plugging along and if it's speaking/listening, engage them on things that interest them. It won't be like EPI, so don't feel like that should be your success-gauge -- it's going to feel, look, and smell different, so take some time to adjust yourself. :) :) :) You can do it! You're a fantastic teacher, they're lucky to have you, and all is going to be okay.

Kolay gelsin!!!

Unknown said...

You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for all the support you're giving me. It helps to know that I at least have emotional and psychological kudos from my friends.

Alisha said...

You can have more than that. Send me your address and I'll mail you real Kudos (...do they still make those??)

Unknown said...

Har, har Alisha.