Saturday, June 21, 2008

June 10-22 Plentywood, Montana

I spent the next 12 days with my sister in the small town in Montana. It's very close to the Canadian border so from De Smet, it took me about 10 hours to drive there. I didn't really do a whole lot in Montana. My sister has a smaller version of Blockbuster Video in her house with all the movies she has. So on days when she was at work, I'd watch TV. I seem to remember going through the Harry Potter movies at least twice while I was there. On days my she was off work, we'd hang out and watch TV together.

It was really great connecting with my sister. It's so odd that we never connected before now. She's ten years older than I am, so by the time I reached the age where I could really start being a sister and not just an annoying kid in the house, she had moved out, had a baby, and started an adult life. As I got older she was preoccupied with the life of a housewife so we didn't really connect then either. I didn't realize until this visit how similar she and I really are. All these years I felt like I didn't identify with my family. As it turns out we're more alike than I knew.

Toward the end of my visit with her, my sister took me driving and I got some beautiful pictures of the Montana landscape. This sounds silly to say, but the sky looks so big in Montana. Of course the sky is the same size no matter where you are. But in Montana where the plains are flat and there aren't oversized trees blocking your view, you really get a feel of how large and beautiful the sky really is.






I should also mention that we goofed around a bit too. That was fun. Sorry, Veronica, for posting this picture but it's funny and needs to be seen!

No comments: