Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A PhD is in my future

The more I consider it, the more I believe a PhD is in my future. I'm interested in studying Curriculum and Development, but I'm also interested in doing Comparative International Education.

Okay, here's the thing. I've been contemplating a PhD since I was an undergraduate. What I can I say? I love school in a way I never thought was possible. But the problem was: which field should I choose? If I were to get a PhD in Spanish, I could only ever teach Spanish. If I were to choose History...same problem.

Fast-forward to my tenure at my last job. Nancy Cheek, the woman who was in charge of curriculum at my last job, suggested I get a PhD in Curriculum and Instruction like she had, since it pays well. I won't lie, I'd love a bigger salary. However, as nice as money is, I need more motivation than that to choose a field.

If you've read my October 1 blog entry, you've seen the difficulties I've had in my classroom here in Turkey. I'm also frustrated with the way the curriculum at this school, and possibly this country, is geared to teach to the test rather than teach the actual content. So now, that begs the question: what can I as an educator do? The answer: get a PhD in Curriculum and Instruction. If I have the qualifications and experience, I can be the one changing the way things are done at a school, provided that I have a supportive administrative staff backing me up.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That all sounds like good plan....can you plan my life too?

Unknown said...

Ha, planning my life has made me a little wobbly. I'm not sure I could handle another one.